20 Ideas on Brainstorming New Blog Content
One of the biggest benefits of blogging is that it helps you attract quality inbound links to your site. The best way to attract those links is to create content that your general audience will find useful and interesting.
But one of the hardest aspects of blogging is coming up with ideas for new blog posts. Here are 20 ideas to get you started:
1. Answer prospects' questions. Write a blog article that answers questions that you commonly hear from prospects before they make a purchasing decision.
2. Use survey answers. Create a short survey and send it to your customers. Use the data you receive back as topics for different blog articles.
3. Review other industry blogs. Find and read other blogs related to your industry and write reviews of the blog’s content in your blog. Be sure to link back to the article you reviewed and leave a comment on the article sharing the link to your new post.
4. Write about industry trends. Track what’s trending in your industry on social media sites, and use trending topics as ideas for blog posts.
5. Write about news stories. Check your social media monitoring tool to find the latest news developments in your industry, and blog about them.
6. Answer LinkedIn questions. Write an article that answers a question that’s asked on LinkedIn. Make sure you comment and link back to your article in the LinkedIn group or discussion. Click here for four ways to get traffic to your blog from LinkedIn Answers.
7. Recruit guest bloggers. Have a customer, partner, or employee write a guest blog post. Click here for some tips and tricks when recruiting people to write guest blog articles.
8. Use numbered lists. Create numbered lists of top ideas, trends, or opinions related to your industry.
9. Provide useful lists. Publish an educational list of links that relate your industry and business.
10. Be a teacher. Educate and teach people how to do something related to your industry. For example, create a “how to” guide or checklist.
11. Write about industry experiences. Share a recent experience you had. It might be from a recent tradeshow, event, or customer experience.
12. Distribute a press release. Write a press release on your blog and create links to related blog articles. When it's syndicated, it will still include those links back to your blog articles.
13. Answer email questions. Go through your email inbox and use the questions you get asked for blog articles.
14. Share industry videos. Find a video on YouTube related to your industry and write a review of the video. Be sure to embed the video into your blog article using YouTube’s video embed code.
15. Incentivize blogging for coworkers. Use an incentive to get company employees to start blogging. Offer a restaurant gift card, free coffee, or other recognition. Click here to get some more incentive ideas.
16. Respond to blog comments. Read and respond to your blog comments and use them to write future blogs articles.
17. Elaborate on FAQs. Take your FAQs website page and turn each FAQ into a separate blog article.
18. Complete Blogging Worksheet. Use your keywords in Keyword Grader and complete this blogging worksheet to create five articles.
19. Crowdsource from Social Media. Post a question on Facebook and Twitter and write a blog article reviewing the responses. Click here to see an example.
20. Show off your customers. Showcase a customer success story and have them do a guest blog post or quote them in the post you write.